High-impact tutoring is the most effective academic intervention for accelerating student learning researched to date and has the potential to provide additional relationship-based support to students for overall well-being, to attract additional people to the field of education, and to make educator’s work more productive.
High-Impact Tutoring is Effective
High-impact tutoring benefits students while supporting educators:
- Over 150 randomized control trials have shown learning growth in many cases from approximately half a year to more than a year with one year of tutoring.
- Research shows that high-impact tutoring is more effective than other researched interventions such as technology or professional development.
- Successful high-impact tutoring existed prior to the pandemic, with a range of efforts including those in Minnesota and Chicago Public Schools among others.
- More individualized learning opportunities embedded in the school day allow classroom educators to focus on grade-level work.
- High-impact tutoring programs that partner with higher education institutions can be used to expand and diversify the educator pipeline.
High-Impact Tutoring is Well-Suited for Academic Recovery
- High-impact tutoring is an allowable expense under ESSER.
- When embedded in schools, high-impact tutoring can reach and is successful with those students most in need.
- The close tutor-student relationship can improve students’ engagement in school and their overall wellbeing.
Resources supporting the evidence of high-impact tutoring:
- Here is a short presentation that illustrates the evidence and can be shared with others.
- This short informational brief, High-Impact Tutoring: Equitable and Effective Student Learning Acceleration, provides additional evidence and information.
- This educator-developed video highlights the value of high-impact tutoring.
This guide is designed to support you in your role as a policy and practice leader to advocate for high-impact tutoring in your local district including:
- Developing a Rationale for High-Impact Tutoring in Your District
- Building Support of High-Impact Tutoring in your District (including presentation templates, FAQ's, and additional materials by stakeholder group)
- Solutions to Common Barriers